In preparation for the 2017-18 school year, I'm looking for materials/tools to help teach my students about immigrants and refugees. Does anyone have anything they've personally used and found to be really effective? Specifically, elementary students, but I'd be interested in any K-12 materials!
Thank you! Matt Vermicki, Charlotte, NC
Tuesday, June 27, 2017
BRYCS is funded by the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) to provide tehcnical assistance to refugee families and the organizations that serve them. That said, we frequently receive technical assistance requests from individuals trying to obtain guardianship for U.S.-born children. While we are unable to provide in-depth assistance on these requests or legal advice, the following information may point you in the right direction.
- If you are seeking guardianship of a U.S.-born child, please refer to BRYCS searchable directory which provides state-by-state information on guardianship in the U.S. You will most likely need to contact a lawyer within your state who can help you navigate the required court forms.
- You may also want to contact The Grandfamilies State Law and Policy Resource Center, which serves as a national legal resource in support of grandfamilies within and outside the child welfare system.
If you are seeking guardianship of a refugee child, please email email@example.com for more information.
Thursday, June 22, 2017
BRYCS often receives requests for translation and interpretation services of lesser known langauges, such as indigenous Maya languages. While we do not directly provide these services, we have compiled a list of organizations that we have used in the past. We hope you find this useful in your day to day work!
- Catholic Charities of Ft. Worth, Translation and Interpretation Network (TIN)
- ICA language services
- Maya Heritage Community Project
- Indigenous Interpreting
- Language Line
- Vida Digna Guatemala
- Wuqu’Kawoq | Maya Health Alliance
- Mayavision (213-382-6218) (limited to the Los Angeles, CA area)
- ActiVozInterpreting Group (limited to the San Francisco Bay Area)